The Polish Centre in Maylands is currently used by the Polish Association in WA, Polish Community Radio "Voice of Polonia", WA Association of Polish Women, Rainbow Multicultural Aged Care Program, Community Visitors Scheme, Polish Ethnic School, Polish Dance Group Promyk, Polish Youth Association and the Polish Library.
Events organised at the Polish Centre and Justice of the Peace services are open to the public.
Open every Thursday
from 10am to 2pm
Children Dance Group
POLISH CENTRE HISTORY
Maylands Fire Station at 33 Eighth Avenue, circa 1933
Large Polish migration to Australia started after the end of the World War II. They were placed in various migrant camps in Northam, Cunderdin, Holden and Graylands. These first refugees/displaced persons were the core of the beginning of Polish organisations. As early as 9 March 1950 an organising committee was formed in Northam which commenced its work on behalf of Poles now dispersed in at least 10 locations in Western Australia - and so the name was formed - Polish Association in Western Australia. The main aim of the Association was to maintain Polish culture and traditions, and to maintain close links with local and federal authorities both Polish and Australian. After Poland gained its independence maintaining close relations with Polish authorities both in Australia and in Poland.
Today's aims of the associations are to uphold the values of the funding members and concentrate on working in cooperation with Australian and Polish authorities, Polish and other ethnic organisations and individual members of the communities, supporting the provision of Polish language and cultural education.
As early as 1951 Polish people, after finishing their 2-year contract, mainly working in the country on railways, water supply and main roads departments, started settling in Perth. They wanted to have their own Polish community headquarters and consequently to purchase a property which would suit their needs. At the Polish Independence Day concert in November 1951 a collection was taken amounting to 684 pounds and it became a basis of a fund to purchase a property. In 1953 Poles purchased a property at 189 Brisbane Street, Perth, at a cost of 3,250 pounds. After renovations it suited our needs to hold Polish language classes for children, choir practices, dance group, theatre group, library and general meeting rooms. This was also to hold many social evenings, discos, etc. Here we hosted many world famous people.
Polish Centre at Brisbane Street, Perth, 1952
By 1980 the premises became too small for our purposes and we started to look around for something bigger. We were successful in putting in a tender of $64,000 on the premises in 33 Eighth Avenue, Maylands, which were then used as a Youth Centre (previous to that it was a Fire Brigade headquarters). After selling our premises in Brisbane Street and through fundraising we had enough money to purchase and to renovate the new premises.
Youth Centre at 33 Eighth Avenue, Perth, 1980
New Polish Centre Renovation - Slideshow
Opening Ceremony - Slideshow
By late 1990s once again the property became too small for our needs, but the location was great and so we approached Lotteries Commission for funding of our extensions and we were successful in obtaining a grant of $150,000. The Polish community raised $50,000 for the project.